Image Map

Life saver.

01 April 2010

Yesterday was my last day teaching at Lincoln Elementary After School Program. We had a lesson on Hawaii, and the children made leis out of candy and construction paper for one of the activities. After the day was over, I was sitting in the library and watched one of my students, a five-year-old boy named Joseph, pop a hard piece of candy into his mouth. I looked back a minute later and Joseph's face was purple, he was frantically waiving his arms, and he was making weird noises with his throat. The teachers near by were just staring at him. I jumped up, ran to him and did the Heimlich and got the candy out... which he then swallowed again (this time it made it all the way down his throat), and then he started screaming and crying. I dont know if he was crying because it hurt or because he was scared. Probably both. Anyways what surprised me was that I didn't freak out, and I didn't even really have to think about what I was doing. It just happened, and I'm glad I was there to help :)


  1. oh my gosh that is amazing how you saved a little boys life. It is not amazing that those other teacher's just stood by how really dumb!! Good thing you were there!!

  2. that is great! You never know how someone reacts in an emergency until you have one. maybe you should be an ER worker...just start on med school w/ jared!


Thanks...for commenting!!